|Khajuraho is well known for its
magnificent temples, were built between 950 and 1050 A.D. Khajuraho
derives its name from the Khajur tree (the date palm tree) which
can be found in abundance in the area.The divine sculptures
in these temples, are a tribute to Life itself, embodying everything
that is sublime and spontaneous about it. The murals depict
the life and times of the Chandelas, and celebrate the erotic
state of being. They not only testify to the mastery of the
craftsman, but also to the extraordinary breadth of vision of
the Chandela Rajputs under whose reign, these temples were constructed.
Kandariya Mahadeo: This is the largest, and most typical
Khajuraho temple. Dedicated to Lord Shiva, it soars 31 m high.
The sanctum enshrines a lingam, while the main shrine is ornately
carved and depicts various gods, goddesses, apsaras (heavenly
maidens) in elaborate detail. The entrance arch, the massive
pillars and ceilings are adorned with exquisite carvings,
that leave the visitor spellbound.
Chaunsat Yogini: The oldest surviving temple in the group
(900 A.D.), this is the sole granite temple dedicated to Goddess
Kali. Another Kali temple, which was originally dedicated
to Lord Vishnu, is the Devi Jagdambe temple.
Vishwanath Temple: The temple enshrines a three-headed image
of Lord Brahma. Lions guard the northern entrance to the structure,
while elephants flank the southern flight of steps that lead
upto it. A Nandi bull faces the shrine.
Access by Air:
A daily Boeing 737 service links Khajuraho with Delhi, Agra,
Varanasi, and Kathmandu.
Access by Rail:
The nearest railheads are Jhansi (172 km), Satna (117 km)
which are linked to Delhi, Mumbai, Calcutta and Chennai. From
Jhansi and Satna one can take buses or taxis to Khajuraho.
Access by Road:
Khajuraho is connected by regular buses with Satna, Harpalpur,
Jhansi and Mahoba.
Click here for Khajuraho City Tour