|Tiruchirapalli, more commonly
referred to as Trichy, lies 320 km to the south of Chennai,
on the banks of the Cauvery. Trichy itself, has a long history,
going back to the centuries before the Christian era, when it
was a Chola citadel. The Pandyas and Pallavas held sway over
the region for short periods. In the 12th century, Cholas were
subverted by the Vijayanagar kings of Hampi, who proudly withstood
the invading Muslims.
Rock Fort Temple, This temple crowns a massive outcrop of rock,
that soars 83 metres upwards, from the surrounding plains.
Tiruvanaikkaval, The Jambukeshwara temple, here, is dedicated
to Shiva, and it houses five concentric walls, and seven gopurams.
St. John's Church, Built in 1812, this Church has louvred
doors, which when opened, turns the church into an airy pavilion.
Its excellent setting and marvellous architecture, makes it
a site worth visiting.
Access by Air:
Tiruchirapali has an airport, 7 kms away, and is connected
with Madras, Madurai, Singapore, Colombo and Bangalore
Access by Rail:
Tiruchirapalli is an important junction on the Southern Railway.
It connects Madras, Thanjavur, Madurai, Tuticorin, Tirupati
and Rameswaram on the metre gauge, and Bangalore, Coimbatore,
Cochin and Mangalore on the broad gauge.
Access by Road:
Trichy is connected by road to Madras (320 km), Madurai (142
km) and to all major towns in South India by regular bus services.
Click here for Trichy City Tour Booking